This program will provide students with:
- Fundamental knowledge, principles and skills in biotechnology.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to solve problems by applying knowledge, principles in biotechnology.
- Ability to acquire and apply the basic knowledge and skill in science and biotechnology.
- Skills and understanding of biotechnology processes will be developed through a planned series of practical skill based activities.
- Students will be exposed to a hands-on activity via, lab work, assignment and thesis that are designed to allow the development of hands-on skills and develop creativity in designing and planning.
- Students will also expose to the needed soft skills in real-life situations as individuals involved with the biotechnology industry. This set of skills acquired through learning courses, assignments, thesis that emphasize soft skills such as the communication and presentation skills, critical thinking and scientific problem solving (pre-planning, production and organization), leaderships skills and entrepreneurship.
At the end of this programme, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of plant biotechnology, microbial biotechnology, animal biotechnology, marine biotechnology, industrial biotechnology and biointrepreneurship.
- Analyze, synthesize and apply knowledge andinformation in various area of biotechnology.
- Apply theoretical knowledge and practical skills inrelevant areas of biotechnology.
- Posses good interpersonal skills and communicateeffectively.
- Make decision and work independently.
- Manage basic biosafety and biohazard facilities.
- Function effectively as an individual, leader and teamwork.
- Pursue life- long learning to meet global challenges
- Be professional and ethical in their profession
- Foundation in Science Program from UNISEL/ Matriculation Certificate in Science from Ministry of Education/Private Institution with at least CGPA 2.00; or
- Diploma in Biotechnology/Science from UNISEL/ Matriculation Certificate in Science with at least CGPA 2.00; or
- STPM/A-level or equivalent with at least 2 principals inclusive of Science subject (Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics/ Science) or
- Unified Examination Certificate (UEC) with Grade B in 5 relevant subjects including Biology and Chemistry.
- Research Officer
- Science Officer
- Lab Manager
- Product Specialist
- Laboratory Executive
- Tissue Culturist
- Environmental / Safety Specialist
- Quality Controller
- Research Associate
- Public Sector: Basic starting monthly salary is around RM1,940 ; plus allowances (such as housing and services) the total can amount to around RM2,790.
- Private Sector: The amount of basic starting monthly salary can vary from the above amount. However, the total amount of monthly salary earned (inclusive of allowances) is subject to negotiation and which can be higher than that earned in the public sector.