- Biotechnology is a multi-disciplinary field involving the integration of knowledge and skills drawn from various disciplines, inclusive of Microbiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Molecular Biology and Chemistry. There are great and diverse opportunities in Biotechnology as it combines Science, Engineering and Bioinformatics. Biotechnology can generate economic benefits by improving existing products or producing new ones through various modern technologies in several industries including agriculture, medicine, health care, engineering, environmental sciences, manufacturing and services.
This 3-year programme is aimed at providing students with a good foundation of knowledge and hands-on practical experience of the different ﬁelds of biotechnology for future careers which include Industrial Biotechnology, Agriculture Biotechnology and Aquaculture Biotechnology.
At the end of this programme, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of plant biotechnology, microbial biotechnology, animal biotechnology, marine biotechnology, industrial biotechnology and biointrepreneurship.
- Analyze, synthesize and apply knowledge andinformation in various area of biotechnology.
- Apply theoretical knowledge and practical skills inrelevant areas of biotechnology.
- Posses good interpersonal skills and communicateeffectively.
- Make decision and work independently.
- Manage basic biosafety and biohazard facilities.
- Function effectively as an individual, leader and teamwork.
- Pursue life- long learning to meet global challenges
- Be professional and ethical in their profession
- Foundation in Science Program from UNISEL/ Matriculation Certificate in Science from Ministry of Education/Private Institution with at least CGPA 2.00; or
- Diploma in Biotechnology/Science from UNISEL/ Matriculation Certificate in Science with at least CGPA 2.00; or
- STPM/A-level or equivalent with at least 2 principals inclusive of Science subject (Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics/ Science) or
- Unified Examination Certificate (UEC) with Grade B in 5 relevant subjects including Biology and Chemistry.
- Has sat/taken for MUET. If students have not taken the MUET, they are obligatory to take MUET while pursuing degree in UNISEL.
- Research Officer
- Science Officer
- Lab Manager
- Product Specialist
- Laboratory Executive
- Tissue Culturist
- Environmental / Safety Specialist
- Quality Controller
- Research Associate
- Public Sector: Basic starting monthly salary is around RM1,940 ; plus allowances (such as housing and services) the total can amount to around RM2,790.
- Private Sector: The amount of basic starting monthly salary can vary from the above amount. However, the total amount of monthly salary earned (inclusive of allowances) is subject to negotiation and which can be higher than that earned in the public sector.